Sometimes, we just don’t have enough to time to prepare or cook a full, healthy breakfast. However, this doesn’t mean we can’t give our families a healthy start to their day. Whether you’re rushing out the door for a busy weekday or a weekend trip, you don’t have to stop at the fast food drive-thru. We’ve put together a list of some quick and healthy breakfast ideas that you can make in less than 10 minutes. Best of all, these are all made from ingredients you probably already have in your refrigerator or pantry.
Greek yogurt is not only nutritious, but also delicious. It’s packed with plenty of protein to start your day. However, flavored, store-bought varieties often have large amounts of added sugar. Instead, you can quickly and easily spruce up plain Greek yogurt to make healthier and delicious alternatives.
Try the following variations for a fast and healthy breakfast on-the-go:
- Crush some nuts, like almonds or walnuts, and mix them into your yogurt with a dollop of honey to make an energy-packed breakfast for a busy day.
- Mix in your own jam or preserves to make a fruit-flavored yogurt without the excessive amounts of sugar found in store-bought varieties.
- Mix in some granola or your favorite, healthy cereal. Cereals like Grape Nuts not only add a nice crunch, but also provide plenty of fiber.
Oatmeal is a tried and true nutritious breakfast food. It provides fiber and plenty of complex carbohydrates to keep you going until lunch, and is associated with reduced levels of obesity. And, it takes almost no time to prepare. Instead of buying flavored store-bought varieties that have large amounts of sugar, you can make more healthy alternatives by adding your own ingredients.
Try some of these alternatives for adding some flavor and interest to your oatmeal:
- Slice up your favorite fruit and mix it with your oatmeal. It’s a simple classic that will keep you satisfied all morning long.
- If you like your oatmeal sweeter, add a teaspoon of honey and a handful of raisins to your bowl.
- For an energy-dense breakfast, mix in a tablespoon of peanut butter and a sliced banana.
- Combine your oatmeal with Greek yogurt for a delicious breakfast packed with plenty of fiber, carbs, and protein.
Breakfast Smoothies and Shakes
Breakfast smoothies and shakes are a great way to get a kickstart in the morning. You can mix them up in minutes and be out the door. Also, they are easy and convenient to enjoy in the car. These are a great way to pack in plenty of vitamins, carbs, and other nutrients to get you moving and out the door fast.
Try out some of these smoothie and shake ideas for a healthy, drinkable breakfast:
- For a protein-rich, energy-packed breakfast shake, mix 1 cup milk with 1 tablespoon of honey, 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, and a banana. Blend until smooth. This one will keep you going all morning long.
- Make a simple and delicious frozen fruit smoothie by mixing 2 cups of your favorite frozen fruit with 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of yogurt. Blend until smooth, pour, go, and enjoy.
- To pack in even more nutrition, try making a green smoothie. Mix in some delicious, healthy greens with your fruit smoothie. Nutritious greens that mix well with fruit smoothies include beet greens, kale, Swiss chard, and spinach.
Whole Wheat English Muffins and Toast
Whole wheat English muffins and toast provide fiber and plenty of energy-rich complex carbohydrates. And, they can be toasted in just a couple of minutes. However, instead of buttering them up, try some of the following delicious and nutritious variations to spruce up your muffins and toast:
- Spread some cream cheese and add slices of avocado. This makes a muffin into a meal.
- Peanut butter and banana is a delicious option that provides protein and healthy fats.
- Natural jams or preserves are a sweet way to start your day that has less sugar than store-brand jellies.
- If you have hummus on hand, you can spread it on an English muffin or toast for a healthier alternative to butter.